Sunday, November 16, 2008

Daemons, how fascinating. What is with the chef who has a daemon that is the same sex? What is Pullman trying to say here?Understanding a daemon is very complex, because a daemon is not only part of a person, but also somewhat of an individual. I was thinking I would love to have a daemon, because then I would know who I am. Or at least I would have some solid, factual sense of who I am. I would still love to have a daemon, a constant companion. You know the saying you come into this world alone and you leave it alone. Well this wouldn't be true if you had a daemon. But I don't know that a daemons shape would tell you something you didn't already know about yourself. For instance, if you had a dog daemon, you would know that you are loyal, but I feel like you would already know that. Also if you knew something bad about yourself would you see that in your daemon, or would others see that. For instance if your daemon was a snake. In the book Sir Charles' daemon was a snake, and we knew that he was a bad guy, this confirms our notion of snakes, but does it work for others? Many people have different symbols for animals so this would not be the clearest way to asses a person. This reminds me of names. You know some people have names that just fit their personalities. Like an nerdy guy named Lawrence, it just seems to fit simply unexplainable or on the verge of explanation. Another issue is the fact that their called daemons, which is demons. Pullman is hinting at the idea that this is our "bad" side or more so that it is the natural side. The instinctual? Very cleaver that Pullman, and very interesting those daemons.
I'm sorry to say but I think the site has been changed. So I hope you all found out what your daemons were.

1 comment:

lpd said...

sooooooo cooooooooool ...